Friday, March 23, 2012

Small Town, Big (City) Dreams #13


Preparing for Convention

As I make the drive to Louisville, KY, I am full of nerves and excitement. I'm nervous about the items in my suitcase, the bullet points on my resume, the number of thank you notes I purchased, and my height after putting on my two inch power heals. On the other hand, I'm excited about things to come, including job prospects and networking with colleagues near and far.

Tomorrow I am interviewing for three positions: one residence life, and two conduct positions. Have I even started preparing? Nope. Had it been three months ago, around the time of my first Skype interview, I would have been jumping out of my skin with anxiety. This newfound confidence and an "it will get done" attitude has contributed to this calm regarding the interviews. How have I prepared besides printing resumes? A friend of mine was kind enough to print off a job search packet, full of potential interview questions to prepare. I've have been reading over that. In addition, I have been reviewing institutional profiles and keeping up-to-date with the institutions' current events (I even wonder if I will be asked my stance on current events affecting my institution).

I am also taking the time to acknowledge the confidence I have to think on the spot, answer difficult questions, and recognize my shortcomings.

As the rain hits the windshield, wiper glades bring a clarity to my seemingly uncertain future: "Wherever you go, no matter the weather, bring your own sunshine".

No comments:

Post a Comment