Sunday, March 25, 2012

Take Me As I Am, Hire Me, or Leave Me! #15

The Power of Support and the Written Word



  I arrived to Phoenix a day early to give myself time to explore the city. After a long afternoon exploring the town I came home to this direct message from my friend:  “ A package is waiting for you at the front desk. Please pick it up before tomorrow morning.” I ran downstairs to see who it was from, not thinking it could be from my friend or friends!

 I tore open the box and found yummy snacks inside with motivational messages on them. As  I dumped the box out onto the bed, more than snacks fell out.  A dozen or so cards also fell onto my bed. I immediately started to cry.  The cards were from my friends on twitter all wishing me good luck. I couldn't believe this was happening! As I read each card I cried harder ( tears of happiness of course.) I was touched. What a #WLsalt moment, to feel supported and lifted.

One card read “ You inspire so many on Twitter- hope this helps motivate you just the same.”  This package couldn’t have arrived a minute sooner. I was freaking out about my 5 interviews that I had the following day. I didn't feel prepared. However, with each written word I could hear the voice of the person who wrote it cheering me on telling me to calm down and  be myself. I was already a success.  

 The cards I've received during TPE are hanging up on the wall that leads to my bedroom. Every night I'm reminded of my support system  as I continue this process. Every morning  as I walk out the door for work, I look up and smile because I have a strong support system behind me. 

In the end I had 8 interviews with one 2nd interview. Some were a fit; others were not. But that’s the fun of interviewing. There’s only so much you can read and get a feel for on a website.  Now it’s time to wait.

“Life is all about timing…the unreachable becomes reachable, the unavailable become available, the unattainable…attainable. Have the patience, wait it out. It’s all about timing. “
Stacey Charter

No comments:

Post a Comment