Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Small Town, Big (City) Dreams #25


Additional Words of Wisdom

As a reminder, with this post I am summarizing tips about the job search, interviewing, and conferences.

In my previous post, I mentioned that conferences were not for everyone, especially when certain positions are not interviewing there. While I stand by my previous statement, I do believe that you can seriously leverage your conference experience to your advantage. Specifically, if you are job searching, it may be wise to submit a program proposal for a professional development topic of the interviewers expertise. This will demonstrate a number of valuable qualities to he employer, but one must mention this to the interviewer I they  do not recognize it on the resume. Additionally, I think you would need to approach this tactfully so as not to appear gloating.

Another piece of advice relates to the role of friend and mentor. Since I was a part of a large cohort, I frequently assumed the role as a friend and confidant to those embarking on  campuses. I relied heavily on empowerment -- that's what I do with my students right? I remember one occasion where I told a friend not to sweat her on campus because I was certain given her experience, connections and rapport with  the office (and considering they had planned to hire 2 of the 3 individuals coming to campus) that she could easily be a top candidate. She ended up being turned down for the position. I felt like I did my friend a disservice by convincing her that she was an ideal candidate. As a mentor, colleague, and friend, we must ensue that we are always considering the what ifs, as well as the of courses.


No comments:

Post a Comment