Thursday, April 12, 2012

Small Town, Big (City) Dreams #17


Anything Goes!

This week I had three phone interviews: two pre-scheduled and one impromptu. The two pre-scheduled interviews went really well, although the two campuses in terms of student population, size, and positions are NOTHING ALIKE. This has created a little bit of a dilemma for me, as I prepared to answer the questions “Why University X and why position X?” Other than that, I feel as though I performed very well in the interviews, and I expect to hear back within the week about them.

As for the one impromptu interview…I had applied to a Career Services position at a small, liberal arts college a few weeks ago and received a voice message from the director of the office telling me that she’d like to schedule a time to talk to me about the position a little bit more. When I called her back, I was walking from one meeting to another—the only free time I had that day. That conversation, which I had envisioned as a phone call to schedule a future phone interview, turned into a fifteen minute “mini-interview”, where the director asked me my availability for an on-campus, permission to contact my references, and my salary requirements! Needless to say, I was not prepared for such a conversation to occur during my first interaction with that office!

I’m not sure what this occurrence taught me other than that it is necessary to be prepared for anything in the interview process. I hadn’t been asked before about a salary requirement, but in hindsight, I should have thought this out before giving the director a call back.

Moral of the story: Anything goes in the job search!

No comments:

Post a Comment