Saturday, April 21, 2012

Small Town, Big (City) Dreams #18

Uncertainty 


After hearing back from a potential employer that my candidacy was no longer being considered I solicited feedback from the hiring committee in order to prepare for future interviews. While the person responded quickly to my inquiry about where they were in the search process, they did not respond quickly to my other email. In fact, it has been two weeks and I have not received a response. This is discouraging to me because I find that my mentors, supervisors, and professors have told me that employers are receptive to helping candidates in their job search, and most are receptive to providing such information to candidates.

So far, about 4 people in my cohort have accepted offers. The rest are either in the same spot as me (conducting phone interviews) or attending on campus interviews. There is an air of closure lingering in the air through a lot of our conversations and activities we partake in. I am not sure I am ready to leave the comfort of my cohort, or my University. For many of us, we are at a crossroads—ready to begin our professional careers, but unsure how the experience of embarking on unchartered territory will feel.

With two weeks to graduation, I thought I would be in a much different place right now. I hope within the next week I will have much better news!

No comments:

Post a Comment