Saturday, April 14, 2012

Take me As I Am, Hire Me, or Leave Me! #18

Throwing My Eggs Into One Basket


As I left the beautiful sunshine state to head to the Midwest for my on campus I started to get nervous. Thoughts of what ifs wondered through my head.
What if I don't click with the staff?
What if I hyped up this school so much in my head I don't like it?
What if my luggage gets lost?
What if I don't bring my A game?
What if I don't answer a question?
What if the students don't like me?
They went on and on in my head for the first 45 minutes of the flight.

Then it occurred to me. The director invited me on to campus for a reason. The reason being they enjoyed my phone interview and liked my experiences on my resume. At that point, I calmed down and put on some Celine Dion :)

As the wheels touched the ground, I put a smile on my face, read a encouraging text from my mentor and hit the ground running. I was greeted by a smiling face of one of the hall directors. She waited with me until I got my bag and off we went back to the hotel. After I settled in I met the director, the same hall director and we went to dinner.
As snow flurries hit my face and I was freezing the director said" Where is that FL sunshine you promised me?" I laughed and knew everything was going to be ok!
We had a great dinner. We spoke about traveling, our pets, my grad program, the Easter holiday, and so much more. I slowly started to see myself working here.

After they dropped me off at the hotel, I  called my mentor. I  told her everything! Her excitement and encouraging words prepared me for the next day!

I interviewed from 8:30-4:00. it is a very long day but I really enjoyed myself. I met with 6 members of the university who I'd be working closely with. That was my hardest round of interviews. It was the first of the day and I didn't feel  I answered all the questions to the best of my ability. I had trouble with some of the faith based questions. But it's ok, I pushed through.

Next, I met with the hall directors, HR, 2 groups of students, VPSA, toured the campus and finally more time with the director. By the end of the day I was exhausted! But as I was departing the director said, "I've heard nothing but good things from everyone you interviewed with today and I feel like I already know so much about you!" Wow! I guess I didn't do so bad!

I also found out I am one of two candidates and the director will be making an offer next week!! The pressure is on!!

I can see myself working here:)


So, Take me as I am and HIRE me  please!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment